Yesterday afternoon finished up with some Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies. I was really in the mood to bake considering I hadn’t really been home for a long period of time and it was still snowing. The sugar cookie idea came from the desire for something simple…and that just developed into something a bit more festive.
|2 3/4 Flour||1 Teaspoon Baking Soda|
|1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder||2 Sticks Butter, Softened|
|1 1/2 Cups Sugar||1 Egg|
|1 Teaspoon Vanilla|
1. Blend the butter and sugar until smooth. Then add in the egg and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Then gradually add it into the wet mixture.
3. Roll the dough out flat and cut into the shape you want. I obviously chose hearts!
4. I covered my cookies sheets with tin foil. Then, bake it at 350 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes. Be sure to watch them closely because you do not want them to turn brown.
Let them cool before you put the icing on them.
For the Icing:
|2 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar||1 1/2 Tabelspoons Meringue Powder|
|3 Tablespoons Warm Water||1 Drop Red Food Dye|
1. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then whisk in the water until consistent throughout.
Just spread it on the cookies when they are cool and top with any sprinkles you like! If you want a thinner icing, add a tiny bit more water.
Originally, I was making these solo, then Mama C joined in the icing part of it. But after about 25 cookies, she wasn’t really interested in helping any longer. Brent had just walked in the door and I asked if he wanted to help with the sprinkles portion. Simple and easy.
I finished icing the first one, handed it to Brent and as I was topping off the second, I glanced over and saw this monstrosity:
Easy on the Sprinkles Brentley!
He ended up munching that one pretty quickly.
For a quick and easy sugar cookie, these ended up being great to take up an hour or so in the afternoon. AND, I have cute cookies ready for V-Day!