This past week was my parent’s Anniversary and I wanted to make something different for them. My father’s favorite ice cream flavor is Rum Raisin, and flowers just seem to be a staple for anniversaries. So, naturally I combined the two to come up with a Rum Raisin Cupcake Bouquet! Naturally!
I did use Bobby Flay’s Recipe for this and it is a phenomenal recipe. This will be making an appearance at Thanksgiving for sure!
|1 1/2 Cups Golden Rum
||8 Ounces Butter, Softened
|1 Tablespoon Sugar
||4 Ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
|1 Cup Golden Raisins
||8-9 Cups Confectioners Sugar
|2 Teaspoons Rum Extract
|2 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
||1/8 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
|1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
||1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
|1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
||1 1/4 Sticks Butter, Melted
|1/2 Teaspoon Salt
||1 Cup Buttermilk, Room Temp
|1 3/4 Cup Sugar
||3 Tablespoon Canola Oil
|1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
||1 Teaspoon Vanilla
|1/2 Teaspoon Rum Extract
||6 Egg Yolks, Room Temp
|3 Egg Whites, Room Temp
1. Bring rum and cane sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiled, remove it from the heat and add in the raisins. Set aside for 4 hours or more. I started the cupcakes at this point.
2. Strain the raisins and finely chop them. Set the raisins aside for the cupcakes. Bring the strained rum to a boil in a small saucepan and reduce it to a 1/4 cup. Remove it from the heat and let it cool completely before you add it to the buttercream.
3. Combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixer at medium speed with a whisk attachment until it is light and fluffy. Add 3 cups of confectioners sugar and continues whipping. Then add in 3 more cups of the powdered sugar. Add the cooled, reduced rum mixture and rum extract. Continue adding the powdered sugar until you achieve the texture and flavor you desire. The thicker, the easier to pipe and mold.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 1/2 cups cane sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg together. You can use a sifter to make the mix even lighter. In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter (cooled slightly), buttermilk, oil, vanilla, rum extract, and yolks in a medium sized bowl.
2. In the mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs until they they are light and fluffy. Add in 1/4 cup of cane sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form. Set the egg whites aside.
3. In a separate mixer bowl (or clean out the egg white bowl), add the flour mixture. Gradually add in the butter mix, while stirring at medium-low speed.
4. Using a spatula, fold in the egg white mix. You will notice a drastic change in texture. Then fold in the cooled raisins. Spoon them into cupcake tins with liners. Fill the cupcakes 3/4 full and bake for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Frost with the butter cream!
They came out fantastic! There are definitely a few steps to make these, but it’s worth it!
What is the craziest flavor of cupcake you have made?