On Saturday night, I met up with some friends from my previous company that I hadn’t been able to see in a crazy long time. One of them is in the book club and actually has a blog of her own, Dresses and Desserts. She just made these flower girl dresses that are adorable!
Anyways, I wanted to bring something with me for dessert and decided on some brownies. I wanted to take a turn at making some healthier brownies, and ended up combining ideas from a few recipes to build this one. It tasted fantastic, and was definitely lower in calories and fat than any other brownies I have made.
|3/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips||2 Tablespoons butter|
|1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour||1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder|
|1/4 Teaspoon Salt||3/4 Cup Egg Whites|
|3 Eggs||1 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar|
|3/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce||2 Tablespoons Canola Oil|
|1 Teaspoon Vanilla||1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips|
|1 Tablespoon Milk|
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and 3/4 Cups Chocolate chips. microwave until melted and blended at 30 second intervals. Stir in milk to make smooth.
2. Stir the flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
3. With a mixer, mix the eggs, egg whites and sugar. Then add in the applesauce, oil and vanilla.
4. Blend in the chocolate-butter mix. And then gradually add in the dry flour mix. Blend until mixed well. Lastly, add in the last chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into a 13×9 dish that is greased. Bake it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the center is cooked throughout. Use the toothpick method.
They definitely tasted healthier than your typical brownie but lost no real chocolate flavor. They didn’t last long at all.
While the brownies were in the oven, Bacon and Oreo had gotten into a tug of war with a cute little pink bear…and the bear lost.
Normally this isn’t a notable occurrence, but it just looked so devastated on the floor haha.
After brownie baking, I ran over to the gym to get a quick workout in and this message was up on the board as a little motivational point…and I have to say…it worked.
What do you grab for when your sweet tooth is calling you??