This past weekend while I was out to dinner with some friends at Pannullo’s in Winter Park, we had noticed a lasagna roll on the menu. I had never really heard of a lasagna roll before, but one of our friend’s described it as lasagna, simply rolled up in a ball. But it really didn’t taste any different. BLASPHEMY!
Yesterday, I set out to make a SPICY Lasagna Roll. Brent loves spicy, and if you can do it right…there isn’t anything better than a spicy red sauce. So, if you think about what lasagna really is, you can come up with some really fun ways to mix it up. All you need is a ricotta cheese based filling, with a red sauce to drizzle on top (or between layers as well). You simply cook the noodles, then saute the veggies you want, mix the cheese portion, and mix the sauce portion. Many traditional lasagnas have you bake it for a period of time to melt the cheese on top and thoroughly cook it through…not meeeeee. 5 minutes in the microwave and BOOM! LASAGNA!
This is really a fantastic recipe and it’s not as hard as it looks!
|6 Uncooked Lasagna Noodles||2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1/2 Large Onion, finely chopped||1 (* ounce) Package Sliced Mushrooms|
|1 (6 ounce) Package Baby Spinach||4 Small Garlic Cloves, Minced|
|1/2 Cup Mozarella Cheese||1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese|
|10 Basil Leaves, Chopped||Salt to Taste|
|Red Pepper to Taste|
|1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar||Salt to Taste|
|Ground Pepper to Taste||3 Garlic Cloves, Minced|
|1 Red Pepper||Red Pepper to Taste|
|1 (14.5 Ounce) Can Red Pepper Diced Tomatoes|
1. Cook the lasagna, without adding salt or anything else to the water. When cooked, lay them out on a greased cookie sheet to cool down. You don’t want them to stick together.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick sauce pan over medium-high heat. Then add in your onions, spinach, garlic and mushrooms. Saute them for about five minutes, until the onions and mushrooms are soft. Your spinach will also cook down.
3. Now, take the spinach mix off the heat and add in the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, 5 chopped basil leaves, salt and ground red pepper.
4. Now lay out one of the lasgna noodles and spread some of the cheese filling along the noodle. Then roll it up. Lay them side by side, seam side down, in a microwaveable dish with high edges. I used a bread pan.
4. With a hand held blender or a counter top blender, add all of the ingredients for the sauce, and blend until smooth.
5. Pour the sauce over the rolls and top with mozzarella. Microwave for 5 minutes and finito! Top it with some basil and you have a delicious Spicy Lasagna Roll!
These were sooo delicious. The spice really makes it something that you wouldn’t normally have in a lasagna. Brent even said, if this had meat in it, it wouldn’t be nearly as good. He hates mushrooms, and really isn’t a fan of anything that doesn’t have meat, but he LOVED it. He said he could see this in a restaurant somewhere.
The lasagna roll, I actually found to be easier to make than the full lasagna dish that people typically have. Rolling the pieces up took no time, it used less noodles and you still got that full lasagna taste. It was delicious.
The sauce the I used, I took a picture of because I know it’s not a typical buy:
What’s your favorite type of lasagna?!